Earthquake interrupts log flows
Logging operations around Marlborough and North Canterbury faced disruption earlier this week as road closures prevented access along main highways for crews and log trucks for a while.
Log exports were also halted at Wellington and Picton due to damage to port infrastructure.
According to Civil Defence, there were about 100,000 landslides across the region caused by Monday’s earthquake.
In addition to the total closure of State Highway 1 from Blenheim to Cheviot, the quake also closed SH7 until Tuesday morning and the SH7a Hanmer Springs Road, which accesses forests around Hanmer area, was only open to light vehicles and under escort by roading contractors.
Meanwhile Wellington’s CentrePort authority was working to get facilities open after suffering “significant” damage during the quake. Picton was closed for a while but opened for limited sailings by Tuesday.
CentrePort Chief Executive, Derek Nind, said in a statement: “We have sustained damage to buildings and the port and also some liquefaction and differential settlement in places.”
CentrePort was working through a process with tenants to ensure all buildings were safe before they were re-occupied, which would happen over the coming days, he said. The port receives logs from as far a field as the Wairarapa and Manawatu via rail and road.
Christchurch’s Lyttelton port was closed for a short time, but re-opened some operations by the end of Monday, including log exports. Napier Port closed while the tsunami warning was in place and the sole vessel in port, a fishing boat, was sent out to the harbour as a precaution. PrimePort in Timaru also “evacuated” several larger ships from the port following the tsunami warning, but was back working again after the all-clear.
Posted on Thursday 17th November 2016 NZ Logger